The scaled division’s purpose in the CrossFit® Open is to increase participation in fun events at the gym and bring you all, our TRULY wonderful community, together at Shapesmiths.
The Open also fits right in as one of our ‘Benchmark days’, which you all have taken part in already. The workouts for the CrossFit Open will be similar to those you have ALREADY done at Shapesmiths. The only difference is, late February through March, we will run ‘heats’ all day on Saturday so you can complete the workout, you’ll have fitness friends that count reps FOR YOU and have a bit of a social throughout the day and afterwards. It’s a brilliant laugh and a great way to meet people!
What type of movements will you be asked to do in the Scaled division?
In short, you won’t be asked to do anything that we haven’t already programmed for you.
Below is a list of everything that has ever come up and also the weight for barbell movements. If you can do the below, you won’t get stumped.
- Hanging knee raises
- Single-Unders (Single skips with skipping rope)
- Burpees (we know you all love these)
- Jumping chin-over-bar pull-ups (standing on a box, you can use your legs as much as you want to jump up and touch your chest on the pull up bar)
- Hand release push-ups: (lay fully on floor, take hand off floor, return to the top of a plank with hands on the floor, body in line, anyhow)
- Scaled mini wall walks.
- Bear Crawls.
- Jumping Jacks.
- Lateral Jumps.
You need to be able to 1-2 reps of each of the following.
- Deadlifts Men 40kg/Women 25kg.
- Snatches* Men 40kg/Women 25kg.
- *ground-to-overhead/clean and push press allowed
- 10 Push Press Men 40kg/Women 25kg.
- 10 Cleans Men 50kg/Women 35kg.
- Thrusters Men 30kg/Women 20kg.
- Front-rack lunge Men 20kg/Women 15kg.
Power snatches Men 20kg/Women 15kg.
- Wall-ball shots 20/14lb to a 10/9ft target
- Row (calories)
- A couple of Dumbbell Snatches, Cleans & Thrusters with 15KG Men/10KG Women
So, if you would like to get involved in the CrossFit open, but you are wondering if even the scaled open won’t be ‘scaled enough’ for you, you now have some insight into the standards you will need to take part.
NEW THIS YEAR (and last) is a Foundations level, below scaled. This makes it truly inclusive! There will be something for everyone! And of course if you can’t decide between scaled and RX, here’s what you should expect in the RX division.
Give it a go. You honestly won’t regret it. It’s an amazing time of the year where you really get to give it your all among such positive people that really want to see everyone simply do the best they can. Plus, we will have some treats for after each WOD.
REGISTER and SIGN UP: https://games.crossfit.com
If you’re interested in learning more about how to scale CrossFit workouts to best fit your abilities, contact us below!